Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Critical Reflection - next stage of my learning draft


Critical reflection – next stage for my learning


Even though I have to spend four extra hours on a non-credit module, I learnt how to improve my writing skills, in particularly, the language aspect. Before this module, I did not know when to use a semicolon or when to capitalized certain words. I am aware that my grammar is atrocious and solely attending ES1102 is not going to significantly improve it. Therefore, I would pick up a book during my free time and embark on a reading adventure, to seek further improvement in my English proficiency.

ES1102 focuses on getting students equipped with summarizing and academic writing skills. Being a business student, both skills are considered critical, as business modules tend to require the submission of written business reports. This is especially so for marketing and management modules. Since I am likely to specialize in management, I see the importance of improving my writing capabilities. Summarizing is deemed equally important due to the fact that business reports require students to present information that are of reliable standards. In order to achieve that, students are supposed to rephrase the concepts and convey the ideas in their own words.

It is highly similar in the work place. A human resource executive would be tasked to generate corporate proposals on issues such as policies, benefits and etc. Generally, there is no escape from report writing, in the business sector. The absence of the academic writing style in business reports would inevitably portray the writer’s incompetence, especially so if the writer is a business graduate.

Therefore, I had no regrets spending more than a thousand bid points on this particular class. Brad was engaging and encouraging in getting his students to voice their opinions. Lastly, I absolutely agree that ES1102 should be transformed into a credit module. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Jasmine. I think you need to make clear which reflection you're posting though. This one would seem to be more appropriate at the end. Even then though, I'd like to know more about how you think what you have learned and practiced might prove helpful in the future. Is any of this (summary, reader response, essay) relevant to a business student? What about as you join the working world?

    In short, I'd like to see you add some flesh to these bones (sorry for the halloween reference).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine!

    Thanks for giving me feedback on the reflection. I'm so sorry for commenting this late! I had korean finals & submission today ><

    Anyway, it was awesome to be in the same group as you too! (:

    Just some comments regarding the reflection:
    - capitalized -> capitalize
    - atrocious and solely -> atrocious, and solely
    - Therefore, I would pick up a book during my free time -> Therefore, I intend to pick up some books during my free time
    - Generally, there is no escape from report writing, in the business sector. -> I feel that the "," is redundant? Or maybe you can change it to "report writing, especially in the business sector."
    - had -> have?

    See you around in school and all the best for the upcoming exams!!!

    Good luck! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete